[time-nuts] Re: pps pulse timestamp device

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Mon Feb 12 17:00:16 UTC 2024

Juan,

If you can make it fit your budget, the TAPR TICC is a strongly
recommended solution. Feed it a 10 MHz reference, then you can configure
it to time-stamp two PPS pulses. I wrote code to integrate it to a
larger system, and that worked and was relatively easy to do. I find
that most issues I had was really due to me not having enough time to
clean the pipe, not the device itself. The back end is an USB that you
just hook up to your computer. On Linux is shows up at /dev/ttyACM0 and
from there it is fairly simple. It is recommended you learn how to
configure it on start-up. In a perfect world, I could drop a
reconfiguration anytime, and I've heard to test code exist to support
that, but I have not had the time to tinker around on it. As I said, I
did not have the time to clean the pipe, but my takeaways is never the
less that it is a great solution, compact and great performance.

Cheers,
Magnus