[time-nuts] Re: Injection locking via common power supply

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Feb 20 09:47:10 UTC 2024

--------
Matt Huszagh via time-nuts writes:

> Curiously, the Wenzel showed much better isolation
> (-74 dBm) with the output unterminated.

That follows directly from the smaller power demand from the output amplifier.

> Any thoughts on ways to minimize the risk of injection locking via power
> supply connections?

As long as you have a constant load on the OCXO's output and moderately stable
temperature environment, their current-draw is going to be constant on timescales
of tens or hundreds of seconds.

That combined with the low power draw in steady state means that
you can put inductance measured in entire Henrys in series with the
OCXO's power-supply if you want, with suitable capacitors on both
sides, nothing we normally recognize as AC will get through.