[time-nuts] Austron Oscillator Products

skipp isaham skipp025 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 27 03:32:19 UTC 2024

Hello to the Group,

I picked up three or four Austron Inc (Austin Texas) Crystal
Oscillators, all appear to be Model 1170.  52.000000 MHz and 28 VDC
operation. The two power feed-through (capacitor type bulkhead)
connections are clean, bare and unsoldered, so I'm assuming these units
were never used.

The trusty Fluke Multi-meter indicated one of the two connections (XE1)
was near/same as chassis ground, so input power (+28Vdc to XE2) was
applied. Metered initial current was about 154 mA and the unloaded J1
output looks like a very clean sine of at least 6 to 8 Vp-p and nearly
spot on 52.00xxx initial start up.

There are two SMA jacks (J1 & J2), both seem to have the same output
wave form.  Date of MFG is 10/81 and the part number is 302549-88

Little info on the current status of Austron seems to turn up in my
initial web searching. These type of search results often mean the
company is gone and/or swallowed up ("merged") by another company.

Would anyone here on the group have a basic history or Austron and
possibly some data on their crystal oscillator line. I did see other
oscillator models offered on Ebay as well as other products.

Based on the current draw, visual appearance, date of MFG and it being a
high precision oscillator, I'm assuming it's got an internal oven,
although it didn't start to get warm after the initial 20 min power on
time.

Thank you in advance for your replies, see some of you at Hamvention 2024.

cheers,

skipp

skipp025 at yahoo dot com