[time-nuts] Re: timing lab, remote control

Azelio Boriani azelio.boriani at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 14:52:51 UTC 2024

It can be done by a PIC and the MAC ENC28J60, there is no way to
implement something that can stay on an ethernet only by logic gates
(OK, add some FF), as was long ago possible with the GPIB (for
example). Operating system free, yes, you can: just an ENC28J60 and a
suitable microprocessor/microcontroller with a TCPIP library ready to
use like the Microchip's one. Then you must interact with it using a
telnet-like connection or UDP packets with your 8 or 16 I/O bits, so a
minimum of Windows or Linux programming is needed. Or make two boxes
that just see each other: I will investigate if it can be done by a
couple of evaluation boards.