[time-nuts] GPSDO - EFC and fear

ordnit ordnit at yahoo.it
Fri Jan 12 21:15:23 UTC 2024

Dear list,
I own a couple of UCCM GPSDO which have been running flawlessy for a
couple of years. On January the 4th I decided to switch them off for
scheduled maintenance and noticed that one unit was not locking
properly. Thanks to the log, I realized that the EFC was near its
maximum and, an hour later, had exceeded its maximum.

I think that OCXO (Samsung STP2945LF Datecode 1245) has reached a drift
level which is no longer recoverable by the internal DAC. I still have
to desolder the OCXO and test it with counter + power supply, in order
to see the amount of voltage required by the unit in order to reach (or
approx 10MHz).

Is there a way to fix it? I think that using a bunch a opamps it should
be possible to fix it, maybe degrading the performances.

In the junk kox I found an old trimble 10MHz OCXO which was removed by a
dead GPSDO. So I powered it up ( 30+ hours) and mesured its output
frequency with a HP50131A reading 9.999991 Hz (time gate 1s). By varying
the Vref voltage (N6075A power supply), I managed to bring the OCXO back
to 10MHz but... applying 5V. So I think that thix OCXO (dated back to
2015) has aged out too.

My questions:
- Are my assumption reasonable?
- Is there an OCXO which can replace the STP2495LF having the same Hz
per Volt sensibility?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Have a nice 2024.

adelmo