[time-nuts] Re: Optical 10 MHz source information

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Tue Jan 23 15:19:12 UTC 2024

Perry,

Just to be clear, what do you mean "optical 10 MHz sources"?

Do you talk about optical clocks?
Do you talk about optical cesiums?
Do you talk about cold rubidiums?
Do you talk about optical 10 MHz distributions?

For any new clocks, there isn't much previous experience by independent
users to verify claims of vendors. Everyone asks for it.
I know of only one optical cesium being commercially available. I know
of only two sources of cold rubidiums (laser-cooled) and only one of
them is barely commercially available at the moment.
I know that some stable optical sources producing synthesized outputs,
but not really being an commercial optical clock in the context of
optical reference, I have yet to see something which is turn-key-ready
on commercial basis. If you claimed to have seen that, I think you
should name it explicitly by name so we can discuss those.

For the moment I think the cold rubidiums is the most interesting
technique just becoming available, but yet have to become tried and
tested to be used in continuous operations.

I have only seen projects for optical clocks that aim to tend towards
commercial available and high availability, but I have yet to see it
actually being commercially available and deployed.

As for optical distribution systems, which is a very different ball-park
and does not really quantify as source.

Cheers,
Magnus