[time-nuts] Re: Want to build your own optical clock?

Ed Marciniak ed at nb0m.org
Fri Jan 26 14:15:41 UTC 2024

Sadly, my junk box doesn’t include a stabilized external cavity diode laser suitable for these sorts of adventures. I do like the idea of using tilt lock instead of Pound-Drever-Hall for frequency stabilization. The optical detector pair, with appropriate loop filters could directly drive a PZT positioner and modulate diode current, skipping the lock in amplifier and other parts. The pesky little problem for the intended use is some is my junk box lacks a few higher dollar items like a zero order littrow (gold coated master) grating blazed for the 780-800nm range, an etalon with coatings suitable for 800nm instead of 500nm, and an optical isolator.  I'm also lacking a small machine shop.

I'm going out on a limb guessing I'd want a really narrow linewidth, perhaps less than 10 kilohertz along with about 1-10mW output power, and reasonably low AM noise.

Am I close on the hard part?

Would the principal gains be boosting the signal to noise ratio(increasing accuracy), and reduced light shift(from running light source at rather than offset from resonance)? Would you also benefit from not needing a separate filter cell or accepting the performance loss of a single cell with a carefully chosen gas and isotope mix?

Might there be any advantages to two stabilized lasers and detecting the beat note directly at 6.8 or 9.7 GHz to discipline the 10MHz output with an inverse PLL?

Does the whole problem deserve another look using 405-412 nm blue laser diodes, or even a different alkali atom choice as a result of not needing a fortuitous natural isotopic filter being available?

Is a passive or active maser possible?