[time-nuts] Re: Want to build your own optical clock?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sat Jan 27 13:57:31 UTC 2024

Bob Camp via time-nuts writes:

> I do like the idea of using tilt lock instead of Pound-Drever-Hall
> for frequency stabilization.

Rattling around in the back of my head, is the question if one can
use the same "modulation" technique for optical clocks, as is used
in Mößbauer Spectroscopy.

In Mößbauer Spectroscopy the problem is to frequency modulate
gamma-rays a in a very narrow band around their natural frequency,
and the solution is to physically move the source forth and
back a few millimeter with a speed on the order of cm/s.