[time-nuts] Re: Synergy replacement receiver boards for Z3801A

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Jan 30 19:05:22 UTC 2024

Hi

All of these old GPSDO’s date far enough back that their GPS modules are going to get into “roll over” issues. Their internal date computation will be off as a result. In some cases this is just a bother. In other use cases it can be a big deal.

Technology has come a very long way since the 1990’s when some of the original modules were designed. Even on a LEA-6 generation part, there is a lot more “horsepower under the hood”. That will help with faster acquisition. It will improve things like sorting out false signals. It lets them deal with more satellites at one time (which will help you lock on to those sats more quickly).

Some (but not all) of the early GPSDO’s used correction messages to improve the resolution of the PPS. The newer modules do a better job of this than the early ones did. If the GPSDO uses the raw pulse by itself, the range of that pulse wanders over is smaller on newer modules.

As the years go by radio front ends take a lot of abuse. Something that is on 24 hours a day 365 days a year will see a lot of lightning and other nasty stuff. Eventually that degrades the front end.

Is any of that a reason you *must* upgrade right now? No. If it was me and the GPSDO was being used for something like a local standard, I *would* very much do the upgrade. This module is very much the one to use in that case.

Bob