[time-nuts] Re: Austron Oscillator Products - GSM

john.haine at haine-online.net john.haine at haine-online.net
Sat Mar 2 11:27:28 UTC 2024

TVB in an email was asking about the numerology of GSM.

The channel spacing in GSM is 200kHz = 13MHz/65, and all subsequent
standards have channel centre frequencies that are on the same 200kHz raster
though the channels are now much wider.  200kHz can also be divided by 25 to
8kHz and locked to 2048kHz divided by 256 hence lock to the E1 rate.

The channel symbol rate is 13MHz/48 = 270.8333.. kbit/s.

From
https://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/gsm-specs.htm#:~:text=A%20GSM%2
0Multiframe%20is%20the,Bit%20being%203.69231%20%CE%BCs%20long.:

"A GSM Multiframe is the basic unit, and is 120 ms long. There are 26 Frames
in each Multiframe, with each Frame being 4.61538 ms long (120 ms/26).
Within each Frame are 8 Timeslots at 576.92 μs per Timeslot (577 μs in round
numbers). Finally, there are 156.25 Bits per Timeslot, each Bit being
3.69231 μs long."

So every handset needed a 13MHz oscillator that had to be within 1ppm before
lock and was then pulled in to lock using feedback from an "f burst" in each
downlink timeslot.  VCTCXOs were used initially so low cost very small
components became available based on hundreds of millions of devices being
made.  Eventually digitally locked oscillators took over I believe.  The
specs for 4G and 5G are considerably tighter I think.