[time-nuts] Re: SDR radios - Loran-C & WWV

KevinC kevinc at carpenter-farms.us
Thu Mar 7 00:55:59 UTC 2024

I have an SDR RSPdx and can easily tune in the 5MHz, 10MHz, and 15MHz
WWV signals - although to my surprise, seldom all 3 at once.  Generally
one is strong, another is so-so, and the 3rd is lost to background
noise.  I do have a pretty simple long-wire antenna feeding the SDR, so
noise is always an issue.  In any case, no problem HEARING the time
announced "... at the tone, the time is...", but no way to export that
information that I'm aware of.

FYI - I heard Trump wants to kill support for WWV in favor of GSM
solutions as a federal cost saving thing.  My 50+ year old Heathkit
GC-1000 will become useless if he does - but so far keeps running fine
(now that I'm feeding it 12V power - lost the AC power supply during the
last long power outage over the winter).