[time-nuts] Re: Manual for Precision Standard Time PST-1030 WWV Receiver?

Walt walt at drizzle.com
Fri Mar 8 00:37:34 UTC 2024

Yes, I've been using MobaXterm and RealTerm for Windows to attempt to communicate with the PST-1030.

Your statement that both boxes are not likely to be bad made me revisit the problem with a fresh, optimistic outlook.  The PST-1030 was connected to my PC using a 9-pin FTDI USB-to-RS-232 Converter and a 9F-to-25M null modem cable.  The serial port was set to 9600, 8 bits, no parity. In RealTerm, flow control was set to None.  This time, DCD, DTR and RTS were high.  It never did that before, so this was encouraging.

The dip switch settings are documented in the attached psti.pdf.  It is a scan of Chapter 2 of the user manual, which the late Dr Mills put on his website at Udel, and is still there under the Resources section.

Now his NTP driver docs mentioned a QTQDQM command, which I needed to try.  According to the following page, the PST does not emit timecode data continuously; it must be polled.

https://www.ntp.org/documentation/drivers/driver3/

So I typed QTQDQM into RealTerm and got the first response ever!  See the attached image.  That's the output from QT (time), QD (date), QM (settings and status), and Q?, the only other character pair that produces results.

Chapter 5 of the user manual has more commands, fine-tuning propagation delay correction, for example. That's one reason I'm looking for it.

Walt