[time-nuts] Re: SDR radios - Loran-C & WWV

Scott Newell newell+timenuts at n5tnl.com
Wed Mar 13 00:44:37 UTC 2024

At 09:57 PM 3/6/2024, John Ackermann N8UR via time-nuts wrote:

>WWV tracking (and CHU as well) is a major experiment in the HamSci
>(https://hamsci.org) community, where they've built low-cost
>hardware to monitor multiple WWV frequencies
>simultaneously.  There's a major effort lined up to get data from
>hundreds of stations during the eclipse on April 8.

Do you happen to know if it's too late to get in on this? And if
totality is required? (My QTH will only be 99.997%, but work will be
in totality for 3:44. Steel building and no easy window access for an
antenna, though.)

>There's an ~$250 device called the RX888 that's available on eBay
>and Amazon that does this (no link because there are multiple
>providers and I can't vouch for any of them).  And Phil Karn has
>developed a completely new client/server based radio that uses
>multicast to allow many clients receiving hundreds of channels to
>connect to one receiver server.  Check out ka9q-radio at
>https://github.com/ka9q/ka9q-radio

(Sorry to pile on with the questions...) This looks very exciting,
but I'm concerned I might not have any PCs fast enough. Everything
I've read just mentioned recent i5/i7, which is suitably vague. Any
idea if there are benchmarks for guidance as to should work/might
work/won't work?

Looking through the e-waste piles, I see the following:

CPU                           Geekbench 4    5           6
(single/multicore score)
i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz         4802/16033     1073/3967   1377/4374
i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz         4238/12841     910/3187
Xeon E5-1620 v2 @ 3.70GHz     4079/14979     901/3750    765/2822