[time-nuts] Re: SDR radios - Loran-C & WWV

Wilko Bulte wkb at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 13 07:07:11 UTC 2024

hello Scott,

I have an rx888 in my posession for quite a while now. Initially I used it with an older HP laptop, i5 @2.3 GHz. That worked, but only if I stayed at 16 MHz wide sampling. Going wider bandwidth made for lost samples.

Meanwhile my shack has an HP i7 @ 3 GHz, a hexacore I think. That works full bandwidth without skips.

I found that having a fast USB3 interface (as in a sensible datapath on the  mainboard, not just a blue USB connector)more important.

So, I would stay away from the Atom boards, the i3 and probably the Xeons (are those server mainboards). Pick the i7 boards and try.

73 Wilko
PA1WBU