[time-nuts] Sulzer 5B Quartz Frequency Standard Questions

Stan swperk at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 18 01:59:49 UTC 2024

I just purchased a 5 MHz Sulzer Model 5B quartz standard with a couple of
known deficiencies. I'm new to the Sulzer world, and the design seems very
different than the other standards I've encountered, so I have a couple of
newbie questions:

1.	When I first got the standard, I heard a rattling sound from within
the oven assembly. I removed a couple of covers and found a loose control
nut that is a part of the fine frequency adjustment mechanism. It holds a
metal tube in place on the rear bulkhead of the standard. I reattached the
nut (there's only one place it could go) but have not closely examined the
mechanism to determine how it is supposed to work. It seems that the front
panel mounted fine frequency control turns a shaft with a threaded end that
somehow interacts with this metal tube to move a copper rod with a
cylindrical slip contact on the end forward and backwards. I assume that the
metal tube is also threaded, but without taking it fully apart I can't tell.
I also have no idea how this mechanism would adjust the fine tuning of the
oscillator, so any advice on how it's supposed to work and what to look for
in its operation is appreciated!
2.	The 5 MHz output works fine, although a few ppm high in frequency,
but I cannot get the 1 MHz and 100 kHz outputs to work after pressing the
divider start pushbutton. The only way to access the divider circuitry for
troubleshooting is to remove the outer heater can (easily done). I assume
that the oscillator and divider circuitry will run without the outer heater
present, and that I won't damage anything by having the outer oven
disconnected, but before I try anything I want to make sure.

I located the schematics and service manual for the Sulzer 2.5 standard, and
I think most of the info and the schematics are more or less directly
applicable to the 5B, but if anyone knows where I might find an actual 5B
service manual, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Stan