[time-nuts] Power line timing -- setting a clock

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Thu Mar 21 10:13:44 UTC 2024

All sorts of gear uses the power line to drive their clock.

I picture that a corner of the control room has 2 clocks, one tracking UTC and
the other tracking the power grid.  The difference between that pair feeds
into their complicated control system that includes some sort of PLL that
keeps the power line clock
tracking UTC.

Is there any way to get a copy of their power line clock?  So I can set my
power line clocks to a similar offset so they will have a better chance of
being right tomorrow after they correct for today's offset?  I'm not looking
for microseconds, just microwave-setting accuracy.

Do they have a graph showing the offset for the last week or month?  I can
line that up with my graphs.

Here is a graph from Feb/Mar 2024 where it drifted a minute over 2 weeks.
  https://www.glypnod.com/TimeNuts/60Hz/60Hz-2024-FebMar.png
That's 4 seconds per day.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.