[time-nuts] Re: Power line timing -- setting a clock

Peter Reilley preilley_454 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 22 23:52:49 UTC 2024

Back in the 1970's I installed Westinghouse power plants
in the US and around the world.   On the control panel
there was a sort of clock that showed the difference between
the AC produced by the plant and some reference, could be
WWV or a crystal, I don't remember.

The "clock" had only one pointer and would advance clockwise if
the plant was running fast and it would move counter-clockwise
if the plant was running slow.   If the pointer went around more
than one turn then you did not really know where you were.

In the US the clocks were not used because the frequency was
determined by the regional dispatcher.

Overseas the clocks were ignored by the operators because no
one used AC driven clocks.   People were just happy to have
power and did not care about the frequency.   If the voltage
was reasonably close the the frequency was more or less correct
that was much better than the alternative, no power.