[time-nuts] Re: Power line timing -- setting a clock

Peter Reilley preilley_454 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 23 01:01:25 UTC 2024

In the plants that I installed they had a synchroscope and two light bulbs.
The both performed the same function.
You normally used the synchroscope because it was more accurate.
The light bulbs there sort of an anachronistic backup.   In the real
old days they used the light bulbs the synchronize the generator.
There were two bulbs connected in series because the voltage
sensing transformers output 120 volts.   When the system and
the generator were in phase the bulbs would go out.   When they
were out of phase the result was 240 volts at the bulbs thus you
needed two in series.   Yes there are 240 bulbs but 120 volt
bulbs are cheap and available.