[time-nuts] Re: Power line timing -- setting a clock

Clive Blackledge clive at ansible.org
Sat Mar 23 00:47:45 UTC 2024

Hi Bob,

There are some 3 letter agencies that use power frequency variations to
help determine when video or audio is recorded. Tom Scott did a Youtube
video about it here https://youtu.be/e0elNU0iOMY ..

There are a few frequency disturbance recorders out there; one is called
GridEye. IEEE has a paper or two on FNET. The Federal Power Act in 2009
required automatic time error correction (ATEC) so people with older alarm
clocks without an oscillator can wake up on-time.

It's fun stuff. I'm glad someone brought it up so I can geek out for a
minute :)

-Clive