[time-nuts] Docket No. RD17-1-000 -- US drop power line clocks

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Mon Mar 25 12:33:14 UTC 2024

Looks like NERC did drop the requirement for timing from power lines.  That
would explain why is is so crappy these days.

I rememver that they tried to do that several/many years ago.  There was a lot
of push back from people with old electric clocks and microwave ovens.  I
thought they dropped the proposal.  Either it didn't get dropped or it came
back again.

Am I the only one that missed the news about the proposal actually going
through?

Europe expects electric clocks to keep good time.  Or did a few years ago when
they were off by 6 minutes.  Anybody know if their power companies are trying
to drop that constraint?

Do Japan, Korea, and Chine get time from their power lines?

--------

Docket No. RD17-1-000    (Unofficial) 01/18/2017

<https://www.nerc.com/FilingsOrders/us/FERCOrdersRules/Delegated%20Order%20appr
oving%20retirement%20for%20Reliability%20Standard%20BAL-004-0.pdf>

As part of the support for the retirement of Reliability Standard BAL-004-0,
the NERC Operating Committee approved Manual Time Error Correction Reference
Document6 which is "intended to help ease the transition upon retirement of
BAL-004-0 and assure the Commission and potential non-utility industry that if
[Time Error Correction] is determined necessary, it will be performed in a
coordinated and reliable manner."

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.