[time-nuts] Re: possible negative leap second

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 22:29:18 UTC 2024

On Thu, 28 Mar 2024 at 19:02, Poul-Henning Kamp via time-nuts <
time-nuts at lists.febo.com> wrote:

> --------
> Tom Van Baak via time-nuts writes:
>
> > There have been a number of news articles about leap seconds in recent
> > years and another batch this week, many with clickbait titles.
>
> That's because there's a new article out in Nature:
>
>         https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-024-00850-x

Judah Levine is quoted in a WaPo piece.  I have 10 article shares available
for non-subscribers:

Climate change is altering Earth’s rotation enough to mess with our clocks
https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2024/03/27/leap-second-melting-poles-climate-time/

The nature article (and WaPo) indicate core-mantle coupling would have
necessitated a leap second deletion around 2026 but polar ice melting has
delayed that to 2029.  A lot of systems will have a real-world test for a
novel condition at that point.

Cheers,
Dave Hart