[volt-nuts] Which meter?

Greg Burnett gbusg at comcast.net
Sun Nov 15 02:28:20 UTC 2009

WB6BNQ wrote:
...Once you have a referenced null condition it
is a matter of recording the variation from that point.
-----clip-----

Bill,
Bram stated that he wants performance better than the 34401A for his LTZ1000
UUT project and I agree with his premise. For starters I think he wants more
resolution? ...With that requirement, I'd think it prudent to have low
enough noise and linearity in order for the added resolution to be
meaningful. The linearity wouldn't matter if doing 1:1 voltage transfers,
but would matter if doing non-unity voltage ratio or absolute measurements.
For example, if the DVM is calibrated at 10Vdc, its accuracy at 7Vdc will,
in part, be dependent on its linearity. ...And in the case of the 3458A, its
accuracy on ranges other than its 10Vdc range will also depend on its
linearity (based on the way it's calibrated at 10Vdc and subsequently
auto-calibrates its other ranges as dependent on its linearity).
Greg