[volt-nuts] Back to voltage was Re: Precision current source

Marvin E. Gozum marvin.gozum at jefferson.edu
Sun Aug 22 17:06:34 UTC 2010

Has anyone tested or have a link describing if averaging the outputs
of multiple voltage references strung together improve short and/or
long term stability?  By how much?

I've read of attempts to do this from the volt nuts archives linking
the Chinese forum, but their good work has no follow up with
stability data beyond some minutes.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http://www.hellocq.net/forum/showpost.php%3Fp%3D1616460%26postcount%3D58&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhg3JjvD6sPUtn3T0rQtKv3xWuC5ag

Bob Pease wrote recently ...

http://electronicdesign.com/article/pease-porridge/what_s_all_this_long_term_stability_stuff_anyhow_.aspx

 From what I peruse, Flukes multiple zener based references run
concurrently but independently, and their drift characteristics are
assigned to each reference, not linked together.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http://www.hellocq.net/forum/showpost.php%3Fp%3D1892104%26postcount%3D285&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhgjHbjHQWdRXogyU8Z8aKSisWIX0Q

At 01:48 PM 8/17/2010, Dick Moore wrote:

>I suspect (which means "I don't know") that trying to regulate the
>399 heaters beyond what is incorporated in their design will be
>unproductive, and that averaging the outputs of several units in
>tandem will be better. Providing some thermal isolation for the 399s
>by protecting them from stray air currents and using thin wires or
>PCB traces is a good idea.

Sincerely,

Marv Gozum
Philadelphia, PA