[volt-nuts] Voltage References

Joe Geller joegeller at gellerlabs.com
Wed Aug 25 03:23:08 UTC 2010

Guys,

	The micro-gust thermal anemometer was a little table top experiment that I
wrote about in a hobby magazine.  In the early days of my tiny engineering
company I decided to apply for a patent for each new product.  The way the MGTA
gets discussed, you would think it was a defectively designed air-speed
indicator for a commercial airliner!

	As to the voltage references, I have tried to come up with ways to share
absolute voltage calibration in relatively inexpensive ways.  The project is
(was) fun and hopefully helpful to some.

	After beginning my career with an EE degree (1977), I spent some very enjoyable
years in the U.S. Coast Guard, in electronics and as a military pilot (HU-25A
jets).  Following the Coast Guard, I worked on many very interesting and
challenging projects at Brookhaven National Laboratory for over 10 years as a
project engineer, mostly related to developing instrumentation for large Kilo
and Mega Watt power supplies at the particle accelerator complex.  Then, I
follow my interests to law school and I am now a semi-retired lawyer (patents).
With care not to conflict with any of my professional work in the patent area,
my tiny engineering company has been developing interesting experiments for
amateur scientists.

	The new FDM proton precession magnetometer, using a very powerful frequency
estimator, contributed to the project from the NMR spectroscopy community by a
professor at U.C. Irvine, should make for a fun and challenging experiment for
many experimenters and university students.

	I wish you all luck in developing extremely accurate voltage references for
home, hobby, and professional use.  I am glad when our products can help out.
There are many ways to solve a problem.  If you can do better, whether at lower
cost or higher cost, go for it!

	Okay, so that is where I have been coming from, trying to find ways to share
voltage calibration in inexpensive ways.  There are certainly other ways, I am
not holding any one back

Regards,

Joe Geller
GELLER (Geller Labs)