[volt-nuts] do you like Labview in your labs?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Dec 1 21:43:43 UTC 2010

In message <4CF6C014.1010604 at pacific.net>, Brooke Clarke writes:

>Profilab has a look and feel that's similar to LabVIEW, but it's no
>where near the same.

>> As a support issue in running all volt-nut equipment in your labs,
>> would you purposefully get LabView to ease interfacing or write your
>> own custom software in whatever language you are proficient in?

I use Python, I don't want to dedicate a LCD monitor to run some
instruments, and I don't want to have to check said monitor to
find out what goes wrong.

Obviously, this requires you to be able to program Python...

I'm slowly building a set of python libraries for the various
instruments I have and the ways I talk to them (serial/SCPI, gpib,
ethernet etc) and make per-device (ie: hp3458a, hp3577b etc) libraries
on top of that which gives me high-level function specific calls
for each instrument.

Poul-Henning