[volt-nuts] HP 3478A - Value? Quirks? Opinion?

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Fri Dec 31 19:53:29 UTC 2010

Darrell wrote:

>and right now a calibrated one for $170

Be very, very careful about "calibrated" equipment you find
on-line.  Ebay is full of sellers who sell "calibrated" equipment
that hasn't been tested, much less adjusted, in three decades.  Some
"calibrated" equipment I've bought has been nonfunctional.  Now, I
ask the seller what lab calibrated the equipment, and on what
date.  Rarely will sellers answer such a question.  In one case, the
seller responded and when I called the lab, they had no record of the item.

So, unless the seller is prepared to show you a calibration
certificate from a known and respected calibration lab, I'd suggest
ignoring any such claim when you value the item.

Best regards,

Charles