[volt-nuts] HP 3458A SCAL

Dick Moore richiem at hughes.net
Tue Jun 22 20:02:11 UTC 2010

One of the joys of the 3458 is that at 100kHz and below, you can tell the box to bypass the AC rectifier circuit and directly sample the AC waveform with the ADC and then do all the processing, which yields quite good -- well, very good -- accuracy.  Above 100kHz, the system must be used like the majority of DMMs and do an absolute value conversion before ADC and computing the TRMS. So I think your system will provide good results either way at, say 500kHz and below, and the 2MHz and 8MHz flatness will have essentially no affect on either way of processing the signal at lower frequencies.

Dick Moore