[volt-nuts] Keithley 2001 Multimeter Fault

Alan Scrimgeour scrimgap at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Mar 5 00:32:04 UTC 2010

The little functionality the meter had when I got it enabled me to start a
self test, but now I can't even do that as functionality has dropped away
rapidly. The display is fine and presumably the processor driving it, but it
no longer responds to the keyboard.

A smell of overheating plastic after a few minutes lead me to an LM2940CT -
5 volt regulator. It's located in the fan assisted cooling path but getting
far too hot even allowing for that. It's output voltage is well below 5V.
It's input voltage appeared to be reasonable given it's being overloaded, so
I conclude that either the LM2940CT is faulty or more likely, something is
overloading its output. A circuit diagram would show me what connects to
this output so I can start searching for the culprit.

Alan