[volt-nuts] Keithley 2001 Multimeter Fault

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Fri Mar 5 01:30:12 UTC 2010

Hi Chuck --

Yes, at least some of those examples would probably come under the DMCA
(not sure about an unprogrammed FPGA, because DMCA can only be used to
protect copyrightable expression and I don't know whether an
unprogrammed device would meet that test).

To the original question about making it illegal to discover
infringement, I haven't seen any cases on point, but I've had the
conversation with several software/IP lawyers and there was general
agreement that good-faith circumvention to determine infringement would
almost certainly be considered fair use.

But your original comment was that "basically, if you take a piece of
software, or hardware and figure out how it works, you have probably
violated the DMCA."  And I think that way overstates the case.

John
----