[volt-nuts] Keithley 2001 Multimeter Fault

Alan Scrimgeour scrimgap at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Mar 6 10:41:24 UTC 2010

Yes, it might come to that.
I just measured the resistance across the 0V & 5V lines with the power off,
expecting it to be very low, but got 500 Ohms. Perhaps the LM2940CT-5 is
faulty after all. Either that or the short only develops after power is
switched on.
I've also noticed that if I push and pull gently on its heatsink it clicks.
None of the other several mechanically similar regulator/heatsinks do that.
I'm tempted to cut the LM2940CT-5 output leg and check it's voltage and
dissipation unloaded and also what current is actually being drawn from it
in use.

Alan