[volt-nuts] Generating a square waveform 2Gbps

AlBundy buzonazo+voltnuts at gmail.com
Sat May 15 09:09:20 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 9:08 PM, Rob Klein <rob.xxxx at xxxx> wrote:
>  [...]
>   Well, black art or no, your question did pique my interest and I had a
>   look round. ON semi have 1:10 clock
>   distribution circuits that can go up to 3 GHz. They're PECL out, so
>   you'd probably need a lever translator,
>   like TI's [1]SN65LVDS20. It seems like there is stuff out there,
>   question is if you can get it "in here".
>   Good luck and best regards,
>   Rob.

Hi Rob:

I have searching these days and found one 1:10 LVDS repeater (Maxim MAX9150)
and others 1:N repeaters of other manufacturers, but the problem is
always the same: maximum data rate is 400Mbps, 800Mbps in other
manufacturers. I need Gbps.

LVDS standard was initially designed for Mbps rates, and all
commercial chips are designed in this range.

You idea of generating faster clocks with technologies different from
LVDS, and adding a translator is becoming the most logical solution.

Thank you for your help. I will post another mail in a pair of months
with our final solution.

--
alBundy