[volt-nuts] Tek gear

Dick Moore richiem at hughes.net
Sat Nov 20 20:03:37 UTC 2010

Again, thanks Chuck for the great info. I was working in Plant 2 Final Assembly and then in the Research Division during my time at Tek, so was peripheral to some of these stories. I just don't believe that glass jugs were inappropriate for the flat CRTs and Storage CRTs, and I met some engineers and managers at the time who didn't believe it either.

That Corning was charging a lot for their jugs is likely very true, and also every company in America at the time was singing the hymn of "vertical integration" as the key to profitability, but IMHO, Corning was far better placed to deal with the CRT design issues than the ceramics folks at Tek. The learning curve was obviously very steep, and as I mentioned before, the fact that Tek did it at all is amazing to me.

I was part of a small group who were informally told by our top boss, a VP, that the initial motivation for the ceramic jugs was to utilize the existing ceramics plant. The fact that it wasn't ultimately up to the task was after the decision.

Best,
Dick