[volt-nuts] High precision calibration for the poor man

Marvin E. Gozum marvin.gozum at jefferson.edu
Thu Oct 21 12:57:21 UTC 2010

IMHO if you are not calibrating these devices officially for an
organization [and thus need strict procedures to pass] you needn't
really adjust the 5500a to output 10.000 000 Vdc.

What is most critical is a output voltage stable enough to complete the
test procedure, sufficient for the range under calibration such as a 1nV
if required, and an equally good calibrated meter, such as 3458a, to
confirm that.  You adjust your DUT to match the readout of the 3458a.
Your DUT is effectively calibrated against the 3458a.

A good DMM is linear throughout its ranges, and a measurement taken
beyond the recommended calibration voltage can be extrapolated anywhere
in the range under test, and should measure 10.000 000V when given such
a voltage even if adjusted at 10.000 0073 V.  Luckily calibration rarely
involves adjustment but just comparison of readings against a reference,
in this case the 3458a.

I fear that if you made some circuit to reduce the voltage without
confirmed testable precision, that you'd risk more inaccuracy that if
you simply take the stable output of the 5500a confirmed against the 3458a.