[volt-nuts] Poll

WB6BNQ wb6bnq at cox.net
Mon Sep 13 22:44:55 UTC 2010

Hi Andreas,

If I may suggest, in your mechanical construction I would consider making the
circuit and its metallic shielding be an inner housing that is electrically
separate from the external metallic housing.  This would permit having a guard
terminal(s) to isolate common mode and leakage issues.

Basically, the circuit, battery and/or AC power supplies, and all connections to
such would be floating (except "earth" grounding) from the outside container.
The outside container would be tied only to the "earth" connection of the AC
power cord and/or any separate external "earth" connection that you may provide.

It is most instructive to study the Fluke 335D construction and circuitry.  This
instrument demonstrates the proper way regarding "guarding" and "leakage."  Other
"guarding" worth reviewing is the Fluke 731 and 732 reference supplies as they
also provided such processes.

Bill....WB6BNQ