[volt-nuts] Best cleaning procedure for precision cirquits

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Sun Sep 26 02:50:11 UTC 2010

Hi Andreas,

In my opinion, 99% (or 91%) isopropyl alcohol is the most
ideal PCB cleaning solvent available to us today.

I keep three bottles of isopropyl alcohol in my shop.
One dirty with rosin, one mostly clean, and one fresh 99%
alcohol.

After I assemble new boards, I soak and scrub them with the
dirty alcohol, then after shaking dry, I wash them with the
mostly clean alcohol, shake dry, and then wash with the fresh
99% alcohol.  After shaking the alcohol off, I blow dry the
boards with compressed air.

When I rework a previously built board, I use fresh 99%
alcohol for the first wash and scrub, and for the last rinse.
I always blow dry with compressed air as it blows away the
alcohol rather than letting it evaporate and leave behind
a residue.

-Chuck Harris