[volt-nuts] introduction

Marvin E. Gozum marvin.gozum at jefferson.edu
Thu Apr 28 13:34:01 UTC 2011

Is there a way to decipher plastics potential longevity in a finished
product?

I'm impressed plastic parts on many HP equipment endure intact over
20+ years, some barely discoloring.  I can't tell what type they are,
but the more durable plastics often feel hefty and solid.  Likewise,
Fluke DMM have the same 'feeling' and endure for decades.

On a side note, casing of some iPhones barely 2-3 years old are
spontaneously cracking, so it can be made quite badly too.

At 01:37 AM 4/27/2011, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>In message <1303856302.1630.51.camel at Fred-asustower>, Fred writes:
>
> >The 720 is strange, it is clean as a baby inside-out. It is not been
> >dropped or so. But all the plastic is cracked and broken. If you touch
> >it it crumbles.
>
>We see this kinde of thing happen in computer museums too, it's a
>production fault: It took some time until the plastic industry found
>long term stable additives.
>
>This is also why serious museums worry a lot about their barbie
>doll collections.

Sincerely,

Marv Gozum
Philadelphia, PA