[volt-nuts] introduction

Fred pa4tim at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 17:03:43 UTC 2011

I have removed one switch. I have measured the resistance at 500V from
the (cleaned) original material and that was much lower as a same lenght
of teflon. (but the Teflon was very hard to measure, if I came closer
then a meter to the HP4329A the meter jumped around, the needle was
almost max left in the most upper range at 1000V so we are talking
penta-ohms, I'm not only a volt-nut ;-) ).

So I made out of teflon a shaft-to-rotor coupler. A hell of a job. took
me two hours  milling and turning the lath but then it fitted like a
glove. Then I made 12 teflon studs. I drilled a 4mm hole and with a
little tool I made I could press in the old inserts. The switch is
already in its place.

But I noticed a strange thing. The stud that was broken in to pieces was
hard and brittle. One insert was still in but just a little hit with a
screwdriver and it broke in two.
The other stud was still in one piece. But I did not want to take a risk
so i thought, lets replace this one too. I gave it a gentle hit but
nothing, took a pair of pliers squeezed as hard as I could, nothing.
even with a cutter, it just left bitemarks but no breaking. After all
this violence I had to replace it but I think there was nothing wrong
with this one. I heated it and then I could pull the inserts out.

So this is weird, almost all studs are gone to dust but some are as
strong as new. The problem is, to test it I have to use force and that
weakens them so I exchange them all to be shure.

But making 5 extra new rotors is a hell of a job so I will check the
rotor couplers optical very careful for cracks and leave them. The
reason the studs break when the plastic get hard is because the inserts
are a bit conical so screwing in the bold expands them. So there is
tension in the material. The rotor couplers are just a "lose" fit and if
one breaks I now know how to replace them. Not much work. The broken
coupler was coupled to a floating one rotorswitch  (both studs complete
lose) so maybe a shock during transport.

I also mailed Fluke here in the Netherlands. Got a mail back from the
service desk they forwarded it to the service manager. If they can
supply new rotors and studs (affordable)  that is even better, I like it
to be original.

Now I am going to find out if there is a affortable solution to
calibrate and adjust the 731A. I spoke someone who had a Tek current
scope probe calibrated and adjusted, That was allmost 500 euro. To much
for me.
After that I can compare them with my Guildline. (if I remember well the
10V is not adjustable but I have the manual so I will look that up
first)

Fred