[volt-nuts] HP 3458A

Dick Moore richiem at hughes.net
Thu Aug 4 19:11:30 UTC 2011

Hi John -- I bought a 3458A (standard version -- not high stability reference) on fleaBay and for me that worked out well -- I replaced the bad display board and upgraded the ROM board (to the current one with the "snap-cap" back-up batteries on top of the ROMs), then sent it to Loveland for cal. I've got about $3k in it total, and it works very well. So if you're willing to invest in some parts, you could save some money buying used versus buying new -- but then it won't have that "new car" smell.....

With the exception of upgrades like the Fluke version of the 3458 (note that the Fluke 8508 is actually an upgraded Datron 1281, not an upgraded 3458), I doubt we'll see a performance improvement (or a 9-1/2 digit machine) anytime soon.

As a used buy, it's still the best deal in town for my money because, unlike the other 8-1/2 digit meters out there, it is still fully supported by the maker.

Good luck!