[volt-nuts] HP 3458A

gbusg gbusg at comcast.net
Sat Aug 6 10:14:25 UTC 2011

Steve,

Both cal versions verify all functions and ranges of the 3458A, and both
versions provide test data.

However the Standards Lab cal (known as a "Golden calibration) utilizes a
completely different, more sophisticated procedure and methodology,
resulting in significantly lower Measurement Uncertainty for most measurands
(compared to the STE9000 calibration).

If you want to trend your 3458A at specific measurands (e.g., at 10Vdc, 10k
ohms and 1V 20kHz, etc.), then you will want the Standards Lab cal - this is
because the STE9000 calibration's Test Uncertainty Ratios are too low for
you to realize enough meaningful confidence and repeatability of the data
for the purpose of trending specific measurands.

For the same reason you will want the Standards Lab cal if you plan to use
Agilent's calibration test report data as correction factors in some
state-of-art process you have.

If neither of these two applications fit you, then the STE9000 calibration
will probably suffice for you.

The more I think about this, I think mostly it's other metrology labs who
need the "Golden calibration" (for at least one of their 3458As) and those
are the folks who already know what they need and how to order it.

-Greg