[volt-nuts] HP 3458A

WB6BNQ wb6bnq at cox.net
Mon Aug 8 07:22:47 UTC 2011

Greg,

While I can appreciate your enthusiasm, I think you are caught up in the numbers game.
Unless I am mistaken, most people on this list are dealing with their personal
hobbies.  As such their efforts are done on a limited budget and playing with the big
boys gets expensive.

So my comments are coming from that perspective.  Also, my comments are coming from
what is reasonable in the real world as it relates to the hobbyist or amateur
experimenter.

And NO Greg, I have no idea what you mean by type A or B.  How about explaining that ?

Your first link goes to someone’s blog whose data amounts to heresy.  Where is the
information from a valid HP site ?  If you actually go to a HP site on the 3458A, you
will see that the additional Calibration costs are referring to additional verification
paperwork.  If there is such a thing as a “Golden” anything, then it needs to properly
explained; not spoke of as though you got to have the secret password and decoder ring
to get any information.  Those type of comments are generally born out of
misunderstandings and little substance.

Your second link references a HP Journal about the meter from over 20 years ago.  How
does that support or address your comments ?  If your trying to point to the
complexity, then see my response to Poul.

Bill....WB6BNQ