[volt-nuts] volt-nuts Digest, Vol 24, Issue 19

Marv Gozum @ JHN marvin.gozum at jefferson.edu
Mon Aug 22 19:28:29 UTC 2011

Concur, but trickle charging is even much less that 1/20th C.  Its
really there to offset the self discharge rate.
I have had meltdowns with NiMH even to 1/10.  Duracell recommends
1/300 C indefinitely.  If you charge at the traditional rates of 1/20
to 1/30 C it will shorten the life of the cell or potentially cause
them to boil over, albeit less violently than 1/10.  The best way is
charge termination at ~ 1.25 then restart at 1.0V per cell or
slightly earlier, and program this large into your charge algorithm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel-metal_hydride_battery#Trickle_charging

At 02:54 PM 8/22/2011, shalimr9 at gmail.com wrote:
>0.1C is not trickle charge, it is the normal charge rate for 14
>hours recharge time.
>Most NiCad and NiMH batteries will not like that too much as a
>trickle charge rate and will get and stay warm, at least those that
>I have had experience with. The batteries in the HP 8116 function
>generator were trickle charged at that rate and cause extensive
>damage when they get tired of it. I have had better luck
>

>Trickle charge would be 1/10th or 1/20th of that.
>
>Didier KO4BB

Best Wishes,

Marv Gozum
Philadelphia