[volt-nuts] Ni-Cad vs. Ni-MH "Trickle Charging"

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Mon Aug 22 21:11:07 UTC 2011

Hi Chuck:

There's a fundamental difference in the chemistry of these two
batteries.  The Ni-Cad is what's called endothermic so the temperature
remains relatively constant during charge, but the Ni-MH is exothermic,
meaning that the battery temperature is rising along with the state of
charge.  So you can leave a Ni-Cad on charge at a 0.1C rate and it will
be charged in a half to full day and the temperature will be warm but
not hot,. BUT, if you put a Ni-Cad on 0.1C charge it will get very hot
and degrade the battery and might even catch fire or explode.  Hence the
constant rate recommendation of C/250 (or lower).  It's not to charge
the battery but to keep it from discharging.  Some other charge
mechanism needs to be used in addition to the constant rate for charging.

Ref Handbook of Batteries, third edition, Linden & Reddy, pg. 29.22.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com
http://www.End2PartyGovernment.com/