[volt-nuts] HP3468A

Bob Smither smither at c-c-i.com
Sun Aug 28 03:48:05 UTC 2011

Dear All,

Not sure where else to ask this question - I am hoping that a fellow
volt-nut has experience with the 3468A.

I have an EBay special, known bad when I got it, HP3468A.  When powered
on it simply cycles through what looks like a test (all / most elements
of the lcd display turn on) and an Overload indication.

I have followed the repair manual as far as I can, but since the unit
never stabilizes - the processor is continually interrupted and the
cycle repeats - I have not really found anything.

The 3468A uses a 3 volt battery backed up RAM.  The 3 volt lithium cell
reads ~ 1.5 volts so clearly the RAM contents are gone.

Could there be something in the RAM that when not present forces the
processor to reset?

If it is possible that the missing RAM information is causing the
continuous run / rest cycle, any idea how I could I restore the RAM
contents?

Thanks for any pointers!

Best regards,
Bob Smither, Ph.D.                                 smither at c-c-i.com
The Three Great Lies:
1.  Your check is in the mail.
2.  I'll respect you in the morning.
3.  We're from the government and we are here to help you.