[volt-nuts] Solartron 7081 Serial Communication

Chris Erickson ericksonc2 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 2 01:47:20 UTC 2011

I'm trying to get my Solartron 7081 to talk to my computer (IBM T42 with XP,
PCMCIA serial port, Terminal v1.9b by Br at y++) and am getting no response
whatsoever from it - not even a keyboard echo. I know the serial port works
as I have no trouble connecting to my Stanford Research PRS-10 Rb standard,
car OBD-II ports, etc.

I have to be able to establish communications with it as that is the only
means of calibrating it. I know about the internal dip switches to adjust
the baud rate and have set them to 9600. There is no mention in the manual
about data bits/parity/stop bits, so I'm using 9600 with the default 8/n/1,
no handshaking. My local cal lab couldn't get it to respond either and gave
up on it. (I also don't have a GPIB port to try.)

There is currently a Guildline badged one on everyone's favorite auction
site right now with what looks like a null modem attached to the back (item
230706418327) - is this where I'm going wrong? Any ideas? Dead serial port?
What has worked for you?

Thanks,

Chris