[volt-nuts] 3458A - To Modify or Not To Modify?

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Mon Nov 7 04:31:27 UTC 2011

Well, the deed is done.  All chips removed without apparent problem.  All
chips archived although I am highly suspicious that the 'cal' chip died in
the process.  Very little data in the file.

I placed the 28 pin AMP closed frame gold plated IC sockets for the two
larger DALLAS chips.  The 40 pin and the 24 pin sockets are now 'on order'
along with replacement DALLAS chips.

These sockets are identical to the sockets for the Opt 001 sockets except
there is gold plating at the contacts.  The gold does not extend to the pins
that are soldered to the board.  The best I can do at keeping the board
'original'.

Very easy to remove the chips with my temp controlled Weller soldering iron
and 'de-solder braid'.

We'll see what I get when I place the sockets and return all chips to the
board.

Joe