[volt-nuts] Trimming the LTZ1000 tempco

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Fri Oct 7 10:49:33 UTC 2011

In the standard positive reference circuit depicted in the latest datasheet

Vref  = Vz +Vbe
Transistor collector current, Ic = Vz/R2 (This increases slightly with
temperature due to the positive tempco of Vz)

Zener current, Iz = Vbe/R1 (This decreases with temperature due to the
negative tempco of Vbe.)

where Vz is the zener voltage, Vbe is the base to emitter voltage of the
temperature compensation transistor.

Vz has a tempco of approximately +2mV/K and Vbe has an approximate
tempco of -2mV/K
Thus Vref is nominally compensated for temperature changes.
However the tempco matching isnt perfect with a "typical" (note sample
size = 1!!!!) residual of +50ppm/K (+350uV/K)
This can be reduced by adding a resistor (Rt) in series with the zener.

In this case (to a first order approximation)

Vref = Vz + (1+ Rt/R1)*Vbe
Ic = Vz/R2 +((Rt/R1)*Vbe)/R2
Iz = Vbe/R1
If the value of Rt is suitably selected the tempco can be adjusted to zero.
However the required value will vary for each LTZ1000 and the circuit
only works if the tempco with Rt =0 is positive.
The magnitude of the Vbe tempco can be increased by reducing the
collector current (requires increasing R2), however the required
collector current to achieve zero Tc will probably be 1uA or even less,
this increases the transistor noise and makes the circuit more
susceptible to leakage shunting R2.
The compensating transistor is operated at zero collector base voltage
which eliminates the variations in Vbe due to the Early effect.

Bruce