[volt-nuts] LTZ1000 at higher currents

m k m1k3k1 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 21 20:06:09 UTC 2011

Some years ago the company I was working for at that time used a 6.2 V zener of about 1cm square, that had steadily decreasing dynamic resistance up to quite high currents...one thing you could explore is the dynamic resistance as the current is slowly increased.If there is a sudden increase in dynamic resistance or there is a change in slope of the zener volts with current then you are starting to use the shoulder of the zener rather than the flat base region for a buried zener. A few days ago I found a website with very clear drawings of how a buried zener is created and doped to keep the zener region deep in the silicon but I cannot find it again now I need it. I believe that keeping the temp down is the main concern for lower currents , if you can keep it cool you can run it harder. I am going to try 30mA on an LTZ100a, I believe that with a 20C room temp at that current the zener region will be at about 120C.
M K