[volt-nuts] 3458A Questions - The Sequel

Charles Black cblack at centurytel.net
Sat Oct 29 20:21:12 UTC 2011

Hi Joe,

The RS-232 bus is easy cheap and reliable but too slow for the 3458a.
The 3458A can send a lot of data over the bus very quickly so at the
time the IEEE bus  was an easy choice.

I bought the IEEE-488 PCI card on eeBay and also a long long cable.
Later I decided to spring for a GPIB-ENET/100 for $200 to free up the
single PCI slot in my PC and to be able to be further away with out the
long IEEE-488 cable. Both were National products and worked well once
the manual was thoroughly read.

I use National Instruments National Instruments Measurement and
Instrumentation Explorer which is a free download from NI which is part
of the NI VISA install. It can see your IEEE-488 devices and let you
send text commands to them. It also has the Spy program that lets you
monitor the actual text sent and received in real time. Just remember to
alter the ID command test from the *IDN? to ID?. Also "BEEP" works. Case
doesn't matter. You will get a communication error if you don't set
"END" to ALWAYS in the 3458a menu.