[volt-nuts] Reference Calibration Options - Solartron 7081andFluke 731B and 335A

Fred Schneider pa4tim at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 07:28:49 UTC 2011

How do you know the standards drift and not the meters ? In worst case they could drift the same amount in the same direction.
A week ago I have my 731A and 7061 calibrated against a standard cell. The fisrt days the long and short time drift was considrable. But the 731A is  now powered 24/7. Yesterday i turned on the 7061 again and it showed 1.000,006,2 V after three hours it was 1.000,000,1 V and stayed there, so keeping it powered on seems to work better.

My home made standard with out of the box cheap reference zeners, four TL431 parallel.  I have last week adjusted to 1.000,000 V on the keithley 2000.
After a week it was 1.000,046 but I adjusted it to 1 V  again. But the reference in that has only about 150 hours burn in time total. The Short time drift is now allmost gone. It flips + 1 uV now and then, but it could be it is adjusted to 1.000,000,8 or so.

The second one, made with an othere reference but also a standard low cost reference, a ADR421 mde to be transportable and can be powerd from anything between 6 and 12 V was adjusted to 2.500,01 on the keithley ( just stopped when the last digit flipped to 1 so I know it is as close as known as posible. ) it has not been on power this week. I put it on again yesterday and left it on for about 6 hours. It started at 2.500,01 and stayed there all the time. Weird, is the , also brand new, ADR421 so much better ?

Within a week or so i am going to order parts for the 1-2000MHz signal generator i m building, and then i want to order some better voltage references. The LM399 is not vailable. What would be the best choise ? ( I will order from Farnell) i like a reference with low tempco, so with build in heather because my lab is on the addict and temp changes can be big. From 16 to 35 dergees as extremes.

Fred PA4TIM

Op 10 sep. 2011 om 08:03 heeft "gbusg" <gbusg at comcast.net> het volgende geschreven: