[volt-nuts] Fluke 335A

Bill Gold wpgold3637 at att.net
Tue Sep 13 17:13:53 UTC 2011

Fred:

    I understand your problem with importing chemicals into the EU.  I would guess you are in Germany.

    The URL for the Caig Labs store is  http://store.caig.com/   .  Under "Distributor Info" for International distributors I see a company called "Fixtest GmbH" located in "78234 Engin", phone number "+49(0)7733 5056-0".  But from the Fixtest website and email URL addresses they might be located in Denmark?

    In looking at the shipping info, Caig can only ship these products by ground in the USA and even has some restrictions inside the US.  But the quantities are small so I would imagine the requirements for importing this is somewhat less demanding than if you wanted hundreds of gallons.  I have had consistently good results with these products over the past 40+ years.

    From what I could see when I was servicing the feedback string switches they were Gold in appearance so I would suspect that they were Gold plated, as solid Gold would be impractical and difficult to accomplish.  I would hope that these switches were some base metal, like Brass, with a Nickel plating and then a Gold plating over the nickel.  This would give the highest resistance to wear, and reliable contact, over many cycles of the switch.  But I don't know enough about rotary switches to make that guess.

    I had purchased a 335A, as part of the Fluke 7100 calibration system, for a Cal Lab I was running in 1978.  When brand new it was extremely stable and reliable.

    Greg, I don't remember what the date codes on the caps were.  I did this at least 10 to 15 years ago.  The S/N of my 335A is 2230010 but that usually means nothing.  It does have the newer beige front panel.  The 322s are the older grey front panels.  S/N 590004 and 700014.  I think I remember determining that they were made in the mid '70s by the date codes inside on components.

    I believe that in the 5440 series of Voltage Standards, this is why Fluke choose to use the "PWM" DAC techniques for the "feedback string" instead of rotary switches.

Bill